5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an intermediate in the natural synthesis of the essential amino acid, tryptophan, to serotonin. The enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase adds a hydroxyl group (OH) to tryptophan, forming the 5-HTP intermediate. In the body, it converts to serotonin with the removal of a carboxyl group (COOH) by a second enzyme. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of endocrine and brain activity responsible for emotion, appetite and sleep/wake cycles. In clinical studies, administration of 5-HTP supported serotonin production. The 5-HTP supplied in this supplement is derived from the Griffonia simplicifolia plant.
- PROMOTES EMOTIONAL WELL BEING: 5-HTP encourages the synthesis of serotonin, an important neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of endocrine and brain activity responsible for emotion and appetite.*
- SLEEP SUPPORT: Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter that is involved in regulating sleep/wake cycles*
- APPETITE SUPPORT: 5-HTP has been shown to help moderate appetite and food cravings.*
- PURE INGREDIENTS: Pure Encapsulations® manufactures a line of hypoallergenic, research-based dietary supplements. Products are meticulously formulated using pure ingredients designed to deliver predictable results for the benefit of all patients, even the most sensitive.*
- FREE FROM: Pure Encapsulations products are free from wheat, gluten, egg, peanuts, magnesium stearate, hydrogenated fat, artificial sweeteners and colors, and other unnecessary excipients. Any product containing ingredients derived from allergens, such as soy, dairy or shellfish is clearly labeled. * These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.